How do I use the library's services during the pandemic?
Good news - the library is open!
But if you prefer not to come in, there are many other ways to use the library. You just need a resident library card number and PIN. If you don't already have a library card, you can get one here.
Forgot your PIN? Here are step-by-step instructions on what to do to recover it in case we're closed when you need it.
Don't forget - high school students have their eLibrary cards (aka Digital Access Cards). Most high schools in our district handed these out at the beginning of the school year so that high schoolers who go to school in our district can use our online collection even if they live in a different library district.
If you're an LCPL resident, your library card still gets you access to all of our online collections, like Overdrive/Libby, Hoopla, and Freegal. You can see all of our digital offerings here.
- Hoopla borrows have increased from 8 to 16 per month.
- We're purchasing Overdrive/Libby ebooks and audiobooks at an accelerated rate to fill holds and requests more quickly during our closure.
- Freegal streaming has increased from 5 hours per day to 24 hours per day.
Databases and Online Learning:
Our online research tools are available - they're great for students still learning at home. You'll also find plenty of resources there for anyone wanting to learn new skills, crafts, languages, and more.
Free WiFi is available in the following branch parking lots seven days a week from 9 AM - 9 PM:
- Cedar Lake Branch Parking Lot
- Dyer-Schererville Branch East Parking Lot
- Griffith-Calumet Township Parking Lot
- Highland Parking Lot (extending to Highway Ave)
- Hobart Parking Lot
- Lake Station-New Chicago Branch Parking Lot
- Merrillville Branch West Parking Lot
- Munster North and South Parking Lots
- St. John Branch East Parking Lot
Please remain in your vehicle while using our outdoor WiFi.
Ask a Question:
Library staff are monitoring our Ask a Librarian service, so feel free to drop us a line if you have any questions!
You can also call the library for assistance - if we're closed, just leave a message.
Activities for All Ages:
We are thrilled to offer virtual storytime on five times a week at 10:30 AM, with a bonus Book Break on Sundays at 3 PM. Go to our YouTube page to join in!
- Tuesday & Saturday: Picture Book Storytime
- Wednesday: Mother Goose on the Loose (for babies 0 - 24 months)
- Thursday: Middle Grade Book Tasting (The first chapter of a book your older kids might like. They can find the rest on Hoopla or Overdrive/Libby!)
- Friday: Book Break (longer picture book readings)
- Sunday: Bonus Book Break
Kids Activity Page: designed specially by our librarians to keep kids active and learning while staying home.
Teen & Adult Activity Page: things to learn and do while at home, created by our librarians just for you.
Zoom Events: Check out our events calendar for virtual events for all ages!
Send us what you need printed and pick it up during curbside hours!
Prints are black and white only and cost 5 cents/page. See more details and submit your file here.
Place a hold on an item and go to the library for contact-free curbside pickup.
Here's how it works.